3 Steps to Build Your Referral Program
Referral leads are well loved for a reason: they close at an unparalleled rate, and the cost-per-lead is about as low as it gets. The question is how to grow the amount of referrals you receive. A certain portion of your customers are going to refer you without you doing a thing. Picking a home service company is a tough process, and as a favor to their friends and family, they recommend you because they had a good experience. These good Samaritans are a great help to your business, but to boost the number of referrals you receive, you will need a good call-to-action to bring in more referrers.
- Looking for ideas where to start? Download our referral request templates to the right!
You should build a referral program, and let your past customers know that you have it. The easiest (and cheapest!) way to keep in touch with a large list of past customers is through email, so be sure to collect an email from each of your customers! A good way to do this – and avoid the “I don’t have an email” response – is to send your initial appointment confirmation by email.
Once you have a list of past customer emails, start gently reminding them that you have a referral program. This is easily integrated into your review request emails, in the footer or in your email signature. A simple link to a page on your website explaining your referral program with a printable coupon is sufficient.
- Not sending review request emails? That’s crazy! Get our review request email templates here.
- You need to strike a careful balance when you are building your call-to-action for new referrals. You can’t have it look like you are buying their referral – imagine what their friend or family member might think when they receive that referral card! You want to incentivize your past customer to recommend their friends, but make it a welcoming “win-win” offer. Split the incentive between the referrer and their friend in need of your services.
- Make it personal – remember, your referrer is someone you’ve done business with. You know them. Get creative with how you thank them for their friendly and helpful behavior. A gift card is fine. An actual gift may be better, as it makes a greater impression. A bottle of wine and a thank-you note goes over well in most households.
- Know your customers - no, seriously, you need to know where to send the thank-you gift! For your referral program to be scaleable, you need to have a detailed record of your past jobs. Emails to send referral requests to, as well as addresses to send thank-yous and incentives to. If you aren't already tracking all of your leads in one CRM system, give us a call! Our software is specialized for the remodeling industry, and makes your sales pipeline fully trackable (including dedicated referral nurturing).
- So, you have a process in mind and you're ready to start boosting your referral business. Not sure where to go from there? Have a look at our referral templates, downloadable below! That should give you everything you need to grow and systematize your referral lead flow.
Tags Referral traffic referrals Online Reputation Management online reviews
- 3 Referral Request Templates
- Referrals mean business, with leads closing as sales more reliably than any other lead source – use three of our proven referral templates to leverage your past customers to generate more referral leads!