3 Steps to Build Your Referral Program
A certain portion of your customers are going to refer you without you doing a thing. Picking a home service company is a tough process, and as a favor to their friends and family, they recommend you because they had a good experience. These good Samaritans are a great help to your business, but to boost the number of referrals you receive, you will need a good call-to-action to bring in more referrers.
- Looking for ideas where to start? Download our referral request templates to the right!
You should build a referral program, and let your past customers know that you have it. The easiest (and cheapest!) way to keep in touch with a large list of past customers is through email, so be sure to collect an email from each of your customers! A good way to do this – and avoid the “I don’t have an email” response – is to send your initial appointment confirmation by email.
Once you have a list of past customer emails, start gently reminding them that you have a referral program. This is easily integrated into your review request emails, in the footer or in your email signature. A simple link to a page on your website explaining your referral program with a printable coupon is sufficient.
- Not sending review request emails? That’s crazy! Get our review request email templates here.
- You need to strike a careful balance when you
are building your call-to-action for new referrals. You can’t have it look like
you are buying their referral
– imagine what their friend or family member might think when they receive that
referral card! You want to incentivize your past customer to recommend their
friends, but make it a welcoming “win-win” offer. Split the incentive between
the referrer and their friend in need of your services.
- Make it personal – remember, your referrer is someone you’ve done business with. You know them. Get creative with how you thank them for their friendly and helpful behavior. A gift card is fine. An actual gift may be better, as it makes a greater impression. A bottle of wine and a thank-you note goes over well in most households.
Stay at the top of the mind.
- You have a list of happy customers and a sterling referral program. Time to introduce the two! Send your customers routine emails periodically to invite them to refer new business to you. Have a look at our templates below for ideas!